Image Resources | Not Currently on View
The White Cross was erected on the outskirts of Hereford in 1370 to commemorate the end of the Black Death and to mark the point beyond which merchants were prohibited to approach the plague-stricken city.
Employing the simple, standard formula of the 1790s, Turner added gray and yellow washes to his pencil drawing to indicate sunlit and shadowed surfaces.
South Gate Of Sargans
Joseph M. Turner (British, 1775-1851)
Thomas Girtin (British, 1775-1802)
After John R. Cozens (British, 1752-1797)