Image Resources | Not Currently on View

Bridgenorth

Walker, John, Engraver (English) After Joseph M. Turner, (English, 1775-1851)


The chief attraction in Bridgenorth was its seven-arched bridge over the Severn, the foundations of which dated to 675 A.D.

The old gatehouse on the bridge, now removed, was used in the eighteenth century as a jail from which prisoners lowered a basket begging for alms from passers-by.

Object Information

engraver
Walker, John (English)
After Joseph M. Turner (English, 1775-1851)
creation date
1795
materials
engraving
dimensions
5 7/8 x 9 15/16 in (plate)
7 9/16 x 10 1/2 in (sheet)
accession number
80.801.1
credit line
Bequest of Kurt F. Pantzer
copyright
Public Domain
collection
Prints, Drawings, and Photographs
colors