Image Resources | Not Currently on View
The half-timbered, white-stuccoed façade of the old inn known as the Alte Thorschenke, the bridge over the Endert and the ruined castle on its distinctively conical hill situate this watercolor at Cochem, Turner's base of operations for his 1839 exploration of the Mosel from Metz in France to its junction with the Rhine at Koblenz.
On all of Turner's pictorial tours of the great rivers of Europe beginning with the Loire in 1826 and ending with the Mosel, he used blue paper and painted with gouache (opaque watercolor) to maintain vividness on the dark paper.
Angers: The Walls Of Doutre With The Tower Of The Church Of La Trinité
Joseph M. Turner (British, 1775-1851)
On The Seine Near Jumièges
Ward, William II (British, 1829-1908)
After Joseph M. Turner (British, 1775-1851)