Not Currently on View
The basilica begun by Maxentius and completed by Constantine in 313 A.D. was the last civic building added to the Roman Forum. As Piranesi's title relates, the basilica was popularly known as the Temple of Peace (Tempio della Pace), while Piranesi proposed instead the Study of Nero's Golden House (Tablino della Casa Aurea di Nerone). These misidentifications were not corrected until the nineteenth century.
Always informative, Piranesi indicates the spot (1) where a forty-five-foot marble column had stood until Pope Paul V removed it to the piazza in front of Santa Maria Maggiore in 1613.