Image Resources | Not Currently on View

Abingdon, from the Thames Navigation

William Byrne, Engraver (British, 1743-1805) After Joseph M. Turner, (English, 1775-1851)


The spire of St. Helen's Church and the fancy cupola of the town hall are surprisingly grand landmarks in the small market town of Abingdon downriver from Oxford.

Turner's viewpoint is from the junction of the Thames and the Swift Ditch, a bypass cut across the bend in the river at Abingdon, which served as the main navigational channel until 1790 and which was entered by the first lock built on the upper  Thames in 1635.

Object Information

engraver
William Byrne (British, 1743-1805)
After Joseph M. Turner (English, 1775-1851)
creation date
1805
materials
engraving
dimensions
9 x 11 1/4 in (image)
10 7/16 x 13 1/2 in (sheet)
accession number
80.832
credit line
Bequest of Kurt F. Pantzer
copyright
Public Domain
collection
Prints, Drawings, and Photographs
colors