St. Mary Magdalene, St. Benedict, St. Bernard of Clairveaux and St. Catherine of Alexandria

Agnolo Gaddi (Italian, 1340-1396)

Not Currently on View
Image Licensing

Agnolo Gaddi was a member of a prolific and influential family of artists active in Florence from the mid-1320s until the end of the century. As head of the family workshop from the mid-1380s, Agnolo excelled as a fresco painter, a designer of sculpture, and painter of altarpieces.

These four saints, now joined in a modern frame, once formed part of a larger altarpiece whose center panel is missing.

Possibly Kaiser Friedrich Museum, Berlin.
Eilhard Hans Wilhelm Mitscherlich [1901-1979], New York;{1}
Ivan N. Podgoursky [1901-1962], New York;
G.H.A. Clowes [1877-1958], Indianapolis, by 1942;
Clowes Fund Collection, Indianapolis, since 1958;
On long-term loan to the Indianapolis Museum of Art since 1971 (C10059);
Given to the Indianapolis Museum of Art, now the Indianapolis Museum of Art at Newfields, in 2004 (2004.160A-D).
-------
{1}See correspondence in IMA Clowes Registration Archive (C10059).

Object Information

artist
Agnolo Gaddi (Italian, 1340-1396)
creation date
about 1380-1390
materials
tempera and gold leaf on wood
dimensions
28 x 8 in. (each)
approximately 40 x 41 x 3-3/4 in. (4 panels installed)
accession number
2004.160A-D
credit line
The Clowes Collection
copyright
Public Domain
collection
European Painting and Sculpture Before 1800
colors

You May Also Like