Not Currently on View
In the shadow of St. Giles-in-the-Fields is an area of West London (Soho) known for its dominant population of French émigrés, manifested here by the elegantly dressed and mannered couple in the foreground. Most were Calvinist Huguenots who had fled the suppression of Protestantism in France in the 1680s, and here they are seen exiting their chapel. Their sobriety is contrasted with the self-indulgence of their lusty English neighbors on the opposite side of the street, who enjoy "Good Eating" at the Baptist's Head and strong drink at the Good (Silent) Woman.
Purchased by the John Herron Art Institute, Indianapolis, Indiana, now the Indianapolis Museum of Art, in 1911.