Madonna and Child with St. John the Baptist and St. Francis

Unknown

Currently on View in C205.p4
Image Licensing

The painted doors were created separately from the carved central section of this triptych and were probably added at a later date. The piece was used for private devotion, and the doors that close and latch mad it portable. Although the artists are currently unknown, the style of the figures and the identity of the coat of arms on the outside of the doors indicate that it may have been made in Siena.

Possibly a Sienese collection.
{1} (Newhouse Galleries, New York, New York) by 1960; Edith Whitehill Clowes (Mrs. G.H. A. Clowes) of Indianapolis, Indiana, in 1960;
{2} Clowes Fund Collection, Indianapolis, Indiana; on long-term loan to the Indianapolis Museum of Art, Courtesy of The Clowes Fund, since 1971 (C10003); given to the Indianapolis Museum of Art in 2015.

{1} A coat of arms painted on the exterior can be linked to Siena.
{2} Sold by Newhouse Galleries to Edith Whitehill Clowes as attributed to “Domenico Beccafumi,” and exhibited with this designation at an exhibition Bacchiacca and his Friends: Florentine Paintings and Drawings of the Sixteenth Century at the Baltimore Museum of Art, January 10- February 19, 1961, cat. no. 41 (ill).

Object Information

artist
Unknown
nationality
Italian
creation date
16th century
materials
oil and gold leaf on panel
dimensions
14-1/2 x 8-1/2 in. (center panel)
12-1/2 x 4 in. (each door panel)
accession number
2015.32
credit line
The Clowes Collection
copyright
Public Domain
collection
European Painting and Sculpture Before 1800
colors

You May Also Like